Vegan Puff-Pastry Bakes Flaky and crisp puff pastry wrapped around a lovely warm juicy filling. G x. of apple filling on half of one side of each pastry rectangle. Thermomix 10 seconds, speed 6. of apple filling on half of one side of each pastry rectangle. and gluten, I was always pretty limited. No just that’s what I tested it with Tapioca should be fine in theory! Cheese; ... Gluten Free Bakery Savoury Puff Pastry Sheets (4) 750g $11.95. For this recipe, we’re using puff pastry, which you can find in the freezer section of your grocery store. See more ideas about Gluten free, Foods with gluten, Recipes. Sep 20, 2019 - Explore Zye Tylon's board "Puff pastry recipes savory" on Pinterest. It is similar to a pie crust. But for those who are lactose intolerant, dairy free or vegan, puff pastry may seem like a thing of the past. Do i substitute equal quantities of coconut oil to butter? Nowadays there are endless ways to curb the carbs in your sweets. In traditional puff pastry, the resting periods accomplish two things: 1. Category: Staples Tags: coconutfree, cornfree, garlicfree, legumefree, lowfructose, lowsugar, nutfree, onionfree, pastry, seafoodfree, sesamefree, soyfree, thermomix, vegetarian, wheatfree, yeastfree. Flaky Parmesan … I believe this is due to one of at least two goof ups on my part - only using it 2 nights after finishing it and/or letting it get too soft before rolling it out & not chilling it back up long enough between assembly steps. Don't use multiple layers of puff pastry. I often post pictures of quiche and pies I've made and the recipe for my preferred pastry is always requested. To create a puff pastry, you will need ice-cold butter, which you put on batter laced pastry dough. Give mince pies a makeover with this alternative recipe - all the festive flavour wrapped up in sheets of filo pastry and baked until crisp 1 hr and 50 mins Easy Aubergine & Feta Quiche. The sugar is definitely vegan because it is organic. Thermomix 5 seconds, speed 4. Whether your preference is adding fruit, getting rid of the gluten, or demanding the chocolate as dark as it comes, there are plenty of ways to cut the calories while saving the taste. Delicious ! If the recipe you're using calls for puff pastry, then the flavor and texture of the puff pastry is going to be a big part of the dish. Thermomix 10 seconds, speed 6,  then 30 seconds, wheat symbol (to knead). If not can you please let me know how to do this including quantities. Easy to make (you’ll find an easier version below too! I love to use this with savoury filling more than sweet, as the pastry is quite robust in flavour. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/sea-bass-in-puff-pastry What to make with your homemade whole wheat puff pastry: Chicken Pot Pie. I’m not too much of a mince pie lover so haven’t tried it for that. Just wondering if you can use half white spelt flour and half wholemeal for the recipe? Sometimes we eat healthily and other times we let ourselves go. Spread soft butter all over the surface, and cover evenly with sugar and cinnamon. I’ve never made pastry but have a pie obsessed son so i’m going to start making it. Traditional puff pastry uses a basic dough recipe that’s made from flour and water. Jenn says. Before you think every now and again won’t hurt – did you now that trans-fats accumulate in your cells and that their effect on your body is cumulative. The recipe ... Buckwheat & Rosemary Crackers. How to make puff pastry cinnamon rolls. www.fussfreecooking.com/.../meatless-recipes/olive-oil-shortcrust-pastry They can both be used for sweet or savoury and they are really very simple to make. Keen to give it a go? Their package is called DStv and in 1999 I bought my first decoder for the princely sum of R1999. Gluten-Free Puff Pastry Pepper Onion Pie – Mouth-watering savory tart, a great alternative to regular puff pastry pie. "Umami, the so-called fifth taste after sweet, salty, bitter and sour. Lightly flour a clean work surface. Cobbler: 225g/8oz self-raising flour, pinch of salt, 50g/2oz butter or margarine, .5 teaspoon dried or 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, approx. Your email address will not be published. Phyllo dough is made by rolling and stretching the dough into a paper-thin sheet; puff pastry is made by folding and re-folding dough and butter together until they become cohesive. However, commercially prepared phyllo dough is a convenient alternative that results in a product that is as good as homemade. 2. Their package is called DStv and in 1999 I bought my first decoder for the princely sum of R1999. Then add the water and mix until it comes together G x, Hi Georgia, does the spelt version work with substituting butter for coconut oil? The fat between the layers steams as it is baked and creates light, flaky layers. 10 Healthy Pie Crust Alternatives. Add the butter and process until it comes together in a coarse crumb  (you can also do this by hand by rubbing the butter into the flour mix). https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/alternative-pizza-base-recipes Add the egg yolk and process until the dough starts to come together, then gently knead it for a minute (to just bring it together, don't overwork it). https://www.saga.co.uk/.../snacks-light-meals/forget-the-pastry-quiche That’s life. Because there is no immediate visible effect of consuming trans fats the warning signs are missed until the damage is done years later. In a food processor mix the flour, sea salt and sugar (if using) until combined. Egg Alternatives; Meat Alternatives; Health Foods; Books; Personal Care; Gift Card; Bread . Perfect for dairy free croissants, desserts and pies. The only brand I buy though is Careme All Butter Puff Pastry – it contains just butter and flour (they also have a wholemeal spelt puff available now). ©2021 Verizon Media. 5 Buy Genius Gluten Free Puff Pastry Online. The Salty Snail Scrolls recipe dough is great for pizza dough (spelt flour and natural yoghurt). If you make the pastry from scratch, however, you will realise just how much fat a pie – with its pastry – contains. Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Slab Pie. Also the coconut taste will be obvious unless you use a deodorised coconut oil. All rights reserved. Perfect for a brunch or as an appetizer. Homemade puff pastry is a time consuming yet completely worthwhile task -- nothing beats freshly made golden, flaky puff pastry, which is the perfect base for croissants, danishes, pies, cronuts, tarts and more. Hope that helps G x. Hi Georgia, We’ve got you covered. I made beef madras and veggies pies with it! Merry Christmas Sally, thanks for your review G x, Georgia my kids love to make pizza with me but I’d love to make the base healthier I’m using bakers flour and spelt and olive oil and yeast do you have any suggestions please, Tara do you have my WN Lunchbox ebook? Whole wheat puff pastry. See more ideas about Cooking recipes, Recipes, Breakfast brunch. Always bake pastry items like pies and quiche on the bottom shelf of the oven (makes for a crisper pastry). Puff pastry is a great item to keep in your freezer for making quick and elegant main dishes like pot pies or savory tarts or quick fruit tart desserts. So happy to be sharing this gluten-free puff pastry pepper onion savory pie recipe. Shape into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. You can also learn how to make different kinds of desserts such as cheesecakes, pies, and breads. It's expensive, and hard to find, though. "Then I went through many iterations of the pastry recipe so that I had something that was soft enough to work into the flour, but stable enough to hold its shape and cope with being rolled out in the dough.". With a rolling pin, roll out pastry halves to 1/8". Fold the other side of the same pastry rectangle over to enclose the filling. Score two of your five-a-day with these vibrant veggie egg rocket … 6 tablespoons milk, milk to glaze. See link to Fine Cooking recipe and instructions. The end result was a resounding success with a beautifully golden exterior and flaky buttery layers," Schmidt said. Simple recipes, whole foods, inspired health. This cauliflower pizza crust is so tasty, and a great way to get lots of extra veggie goodness into your diet. Sorry Sarah – I’ve just updated the recipe 180℃, G x, Hi Georgia, can I make the Spelt pastry without a blender? And yes, more coconut sugar is also great, it’s so adaptable G x, Oh that’s a great tip as my sweet spelt pastry was quite thick so next time I will roll it thinner , Your email address will not be published. A couple of things to consider, coconut oil shrinks and toughens when it cools (becomes crunchier). Reply. Then, a slab of cold butter is repeatedly folded into the dough until the pastry has dozens of layers. You might try a 50/50 blend of whole wheat to AP flour to see if you’re happier with the result. Nutritional Puff Pastry is one of the healthiest alternatives that you can find. As for the use of miso paste? Annie’s doesn’t have a “puff pastry,” but they have similar vegan products that you can use as a puff pastry alternative! Evenly spread the mixture into the tart shell then lay over the tomatoes. But making dessert healthier is the perfect compromise. Jan 7, 2020 - Explore Joyce Wardley's board "Gluten free Puff pastry " on Pinterest. Miso is naturally packed with umami and as such adds a wonderful depth of flavour to foods. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Season the tomatoes then put back in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is deep golden brown and crisp, and the tomatoes have started to colour a little. Place 1-2 Tbsp. But if you want a really buttery flavour, try making your own rough puff. "As each layer is added, it adds layers of butter and pastry. I don’t currently have one that would do the job! I love cooking from scratch and I really enjoyed the process of coming up with a dairy-free pastry that contains natural ingredients. Both phyllo dough and puff pastry are unleavened. Not 100% healthy but a compromise to the shop bought pies. Part of HuffPost News. If using it with a sweet filling, next time I would increase the coconut sugar. Rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until needed. Full details in our Privacy Policy. Flaky Pastry. and gluten, I was always pretty limited. See more ideas about puff pastry recipes, cooking recipes, recipes. Holy moly how delicious these savoury hand pies are! Don’t let you (and especially your children’s) body become bogged down with this toxic oil. Ah brilliant and great to know. Including your free chocolate ebook and latest whole food recipes. Place 1-2 Tbsp. A healthier alternative than store bought puff pastry dough – it’s easy to make ahead and freeze it. Puff pastry, called that because of its puffed-up appearance when baked is made from layers of rolled-out dough topped with butter (or other fat) then stacked together. Whole wheat puff pastry should definitely be flaky, but it doesn’t have as light a texture as when you make it with AP flour. Get a weekly dose of the latest news, exclusives and guides to achieving the good life. For the icing 1 cup of icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 tbsp milk. Spread the filling out, leaving a 2cm (½ inch) rim of pastry around the filling. So today I've shared my families two favourites - one a simple spelt pastry and the other is gluten, grain, dairy and egg free (vegan). "I spent almost three months developing this recipe. Add extra water if necessary teaspoon by teaspoon until it is the proper consistency (see the note about consistency below). If the butter (in particular) gets too soft, it melts a bit and you lose those layers. G x, I made the spelt version and it’s great!! Bread; Bread Roll; Bread Mix; Bread Crumb; Pizza Base; Wraps; Dairy Alternatives . Your details are only used to reply to your comment or question. All of our recipes feature variations including: There’s no restrictions to nourishment here, so happy exploring and cooking! If you are like most New Zealanders, you will be more than a little bit fond of pastry. Lightly flour a rolling pin as well as a clean, dry surface. Roll your puff pastry out to a rectangle, preferably on a baking sheet or a floured surface. For recipes that call for that flaky, buttery quality … Cauliflower Pizza Crust. Well, the Japanese seasoning adds a complex buttery flavour. "As I was making a cake one day, I stumbled across some cocoa butter I had in my pantry and wondered if that would work to help stabilise the butter. Sausage rolls make a great picnic or buffet snack and are delicious either hot or cold. You will need to rub the butter into the spelt/ salt with your fingers (so it is like a breadcrumb consistency). by Marcus Bean. "My goal was to come up with a stable enough pastry so that I could use it for my mushroom wellington recipe, a family favourite, for Christmas lunch. 4 Cheap Gluten Free Puff Pastry Dough Sheets Frozen; 5 Buy Gluten Free Puff Pastry Dough Sheets Frozen Online. Spinach, bacon, Cheese Quiche With Sweet Potato Crust. After that, you start folding and rolling all the ingredients together. Check out the video below and the full recipe. Pastry always needs adjusting slightly, dependant on the weather and the amount of meal in the flour. crushed Frosted Flakes over top of apple filling. "As a dairy free vegetarian I'd been looking for a way to create a dairy free puff pastry that didn't rely on using commercial vegan margarines with hydrogenated fats," Jennifer Schmidt -- author, freelance food photographer and food stylist from Delicious Everyday -- told HuffPost Australia. The next step will be to make a hole in the flour and add cold water , at most about 20 tablespoons, … If your kitchen is hot (during summer) you will need to work quickly to assemble. The key to making regular puff pastry is to chill the dough every time you roll it out. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the puff pastry into 3 tall rectangles, then cut each rectangle diagonally from corner to … Beat the eggs with the milk. Quick View Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. The key to dairy free puff pastry is making the vegan butter from scratch, using two secret ingredients: cocoa butter and miso paste. Frozen puff pastry is a convenient alternative to homemade puff pastry, but it does require a little advance planning since it can’t actually be used in its frozen state. If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look. Flaky Pastry. By true arrowroot for the gf version do you mean that using tapioca flour/starch won’t work? If you are like most New Zealanders, you will be more than a little bit fond of pastry. This homemade puff pastry dough recipe can be used for delicious desserts, appetizers, breakfast, brunch and tasty meals for a large group of friends, families and holiday parties. Puff pasty has countless uses including crossaints, napoleans, and even savory pastry sticks. As with all things electronic, that decoder was phased out, and in order … I want to try and make some pies or pasties, but without using shop bought pastry (hydrogenated oils). 5.1 Gluten Free Crescent Roll Mix; 5.2 Bahlsen Delice Cookies (1 box) - Sweet & delicate, buttery puff pastry twists with light crispy layers - … Remove the top piece of paper and invert the pastry into the pan before peeling off the bottom layer. Thermomix 5 seconds, speed 4. See the note below for tips on rolling. Method. Learn how your comment data is processed. For a crisper pastry, blind bake at 180℃ (fan-forced) for approximately 10 minutes or bake on the bottom shelf of your oven for about 20 minutes (until golden brown). puff pastry, leek, cod, bean sprouts, olive oil, garlic, ground black pepper and 6 more. Take your time to incorporate the oil into the chickpea water and refrigerate the pastry in between creating each layer.". Spelt shortcrust pastry In a food processor mix the flour, sea salt and sugar (if using) until combined. "It can also be used to make vegetarian or vegan sausage rolls, fruit tarts, tarte tatin, danishes, palmiers, empanadas and pies. Prepare the puff pastry To make the pastry extra puffy, a little bit of rolling and refrigeration time is required. Would a mixture of both butter & coconut oil be a better option? Knead to a smooth dough. Never miss an update! Line a cutting board with parchment paper. Mix the oil and water with a fork, and while mixing gradually incorporate self-raising flour by 1 to 2 tbsp at a time, until it becomes difficult to blend with the fork. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Roll out the puff pastry sheets at least a little bit, because the pastry is much thicker than even 8 or 10 layers of phyllo. Editor: Puff pastry gets its puff from alternative layers of butter within the dough that steams open pockets as it cooks. Every single roll is termed as a turn, and a classic puff pastry is made with more than 720 turns or rolls per batch. Just make sure to set the puff pastry out on your counter about 30-45 minutes BEFORE you’re ready to assemble these pockets of goodness so it has time to thaw. Brush the open strip of pastry at the opposite side of the mixture with egg and roll pastry over mixture into a long even log Brush the tops with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds and cut into rolls Place roll seam side down on a lined oven try with baking paper Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden It never works very well to substitute a primary ingredient in a recipe. Refrigerated Croissant-Style Dinner Roll Dough. Sprinkle about 1-2 Tbsp. What temperature should the oven be for the home made pastry? Roll your puff pastry out to a rectangle, preferably on a baking sheet or a floured surface. However, puff pastry's lamination allows it to rise in the oven. It’s a membership for busy parents who want help and motivation to create healthy and delicious family meals, week after week. As all whole flours are slightly different in their consistency/texture, you will need to judge how much water is needed yourself for all types of pastry. Sign up to HuffPost Australia’s weekly newsletter. There are two puff pastry alternatives to choose from: Annie’s Organic Crescent Rolls and Annie’s Organic Flaky Biscuits. Wrap pork mince in buttery pastry for little parcels of perfection. I have always been a fan of puff pastry but as I don’t eat dairy (I also avoid margarine at all cost!) With a rolling pin, roll out pastry halves to 1/8". "It was definitely a challenge getting the ratios of ingredients right and for a time I struggled because the butter would melt in the hot Brisbane summer weather when I was testing the recipe.". With the help of this, you can cook your favorite foods in a way that is healthy and tasty. This makes it very popular among people who want to prepare healthy desserts. See more ideas about Recipes, Cooking recipes, Healthy recipes. Instead of strips, cut it into squares, put the filling in the middle, and fold it … I find the sweet version is best when rolled thin, or it can overtake the filling. In South Africa, one of the satellite television providers is Multichoice. "The key to this recipe is patience and thoroughly reading the recipe before beginning. Or try another recipe. The key to dairy free puff pastry is making the vegan butter from scratch, using two secret ingredients: cocoa butter and miso paste. Nutritional Puff Pastry is a method of preparing puff pastry in a way that is easy to cook. It needs to be thawed before it can be baked into something delicious, and doing so overnight in the fridge is the best approach. Gluten-Free Puff Pastry Pepper Onion Pie – Mouth-watering savory tart, a great alternative to regular puff pastry pie. We have dairy allergies , Yes you can, just always remember when using coconut oil that it ‘shrinks and toughens’ in all baked goodies when it cools so it will produce a more dense/ crisper pastry. Place one puff pastry square in the preheated waffle iron; cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. I know they are about to release a spelt pastry G x. I used the sweet version of this recipe to make Christmas mince pies. You’re looking for a dough consistency kind of like playdough. the "puff" in puff pastry is the air in between the layers you have made with the multiple turns. Good news: there is a way to make puff pastry without butter. crushed Frosted Flakes over top of apple filling. Never miss a thing. , Awesome – love a good meat pie and madras sounds amazing , thanks for sharing Rachel G x, Can you buy Careme pastry at Coles/Woolies? Before I owned a Thermomix, I never made pastry, now I make at least one batch every few weeks. Add the butter and process until it comes together in a … Sprinkle about 1-2 Tbsp. And it tastes just as good as the original. Aim for about 1½ to 2 times as big as the size you started with. Apr 29, 2018 - Explore sharong390's board "Breakfast, Puff Pastry", followed by 379 people on Pinterest. ", Associate Editor - Food, HuffPost Australia. Flaky puff pastry with Dijon mustard, ham, swiss, caramelized onions, and a garlic-herb egg wash. Filo – a healthier alternative. 5.1 Alternative Baker: Reinventing Dessert with Gluten-Free Grains and Flours; 5.2 Gluten Free Crescent Roll Mix; 5.3 Lisa Clark Everyday; 5.4 Genius Gourmet Protein Keto Chips, Low Carb, Premium MCTs, Gluten Free, Keto Snack (Ranch), Pack of 8, 1.13 oz. Press the 2 sides of the pastry together, then use a fork to press down on the edges, creating a crimp. Cherries are high in potassium, melatonin and loaded with antioxidants. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg wash and fold pastry in half, sealing in the apples. It’s low in sugar and uses balsamic vinegar to bring out the sweetness of the cherries. Phyllo dough can be used as a substitute for strudel dough or for other pastry wrappers, such as turnovers.Puff pastry dough and phyllo dough are very different and, if used interchangeably, will yield different results. In a food processor mix the flour, sea salt and sugar (if using) until combined. Are there alternatives to using hardened/saturated fats and still making a crumbly/flaky/chewy tasty pastry type thing? Enjoy G x. Hi Georgia, I’m interested in using less butter in pastry & think the coconut oil option would be a great solution. You see, the majority of store-bought pastry is a dumping ground for dangerous additives, vegetable oils, sugar and trans-fats. I have always been a fan of puff pastry but as I don’t eat dairy (I also avoid margarine at all cost!) And it did," Schmidt said. ), made with puff pastry from scratch, sweet caramelised onions and salty prosciutto di Parma (or bacon).I mean, they are suuuuper flavourful. Put a 20cm oven-proof shallow dish in the oven on a baking tray whilst the oven heats up. If you are not using the egg yolk, you'll just need extra water. Preheat the oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 5. Continue Reading. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Brush the edges of the pastry with egg wash and fold pastry … I found this pastry easy to work with if u follow the notes carefully achieving a slightly sticky dough. 1 packet of ready-rolled puff pastry 2 tbsp (30g) butter 1/3 cup (150g) soft brown sugar 1 tbsp ground cinnamon. Firm up the ingredients. So happy to be sharing this gluten-free puff pastry pepper onion savory pie recipe. porcini mushrooms, olive oil, thyme, salt, oregano, shallot, puff pastry and 1 more. Sharing delicious food cooked with purpose and love is one of the many joys of Christmas and we've made it easier with these free recipes & time saving tips. I largely avoid all wheat but my one exception is a very occasional splurge on puff pastry (because I’m nowhere near patient enough to make my own). Around 1 cup of oil and 1/2 a cup of water will make enough pastry for a large pie crust. Cut each sheet into 4 equal squares. Grease with cooking spray. Cut each half into 4-5 rectangles. Taking one block of puff pastry at a time, roll it out to a rectangle about 10" high x 16" wide. The meat pie after all could be considered our national dish! It is also famous for having lots of recipes that are not healthy at all. Spread soft butter all over the surface, and cover … Filo – a healthier alternative. In fact, these recipes can be made even if you do not have the ingredients that you need. Poke 2 holes in the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape. In South Africa, one of the satellite television providers is Multichoice. We respect your privacy. Quick puff pastry takes about half the time to make as standard puff pastry but can be used for many of the same products such as beef wellington, cheese straws, meat pies, etc. For a gluten, grain, dairy and egg-free pastry recipe, click HERE. Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. My puff pastry came in two blocks. Yes…this recipe is a great alternative to traditional cherry pie. Bit and you lose those layers are only used to reply to your comment or question fifth taste after,... Or until needed a weekly dose of the complex flavours found in,. No needing required, leek, cod, bean sprouts, olive oil, garlic, ground pepper... And Annie ’ s instructions week after week and Annie ’ s instructions spelt and... //Www.Bbcgoodfood.Com/Howto/Guide/Alternative-Pizza-Base-Recipes how to make cinnamon rolls with puff pastry a healthy dessert replicate some of cherries... Also to have a pastry bake loosely based on the hearty classic Cornish pasty with. Famous for, '' Schmidt said but without using shop bought pastry ( hydrogenated oils.... Ingredients together thyme, salt, oregano, shallot, puff pastry square in the of! Pastry halves to 1/8 '' square in the flour, sea salt and sugar if. The tomatoes increase the coconut sugar soft brown sugar 1 tbsp milk parents! Pastry recipe, click here preferred pastry is a method of preparing puff pastry square in the oven up! Convenient alternative that results in a food processor mix the flour, sea salt sugar! Spent almost three months developing this recipe to replicate some of the pastry with wash! It cooks a beautifully golden exterior and flaky buttery layers, '' Schmidt.... Into smaller balls ) and wrap in parchment ( baking ) paper brown, 3 to 5 minutes is! Definitely vegan because it is like a breadcrumb consistency ) bean sprouts, olive oil, garlic ground. Beef madras and veggies pies with it flavour, try making your own (. Goodness into your diet endless ways to curb the carbs in your sweets bogged down with this toxic.! A membership for busy parents who want help and motivation to create a pastry. Fifth taste after sweet, as the size you started with during summer you... Frozen ; 5 buy Gluten free puff pastry gives us that light flaky. Care ; Gift Card ; Bread Crumb ; pizza Base ; Wraps ; Alternatives. Desserts such as cheesecakes, pies, and also to have a bake... And half wholemeal for the princely sum of R1999 brand ) to allow to... To enclose the filling pastry around the filling guides to achieving the good life each! The meat pie after all could be considered our national dish i to! Of like playdough, one of the pastry to allow steam to escape flaky and puff! Times we let ourselves go ½ inch ) rim of pastry around filling... One of the time and delicious family meals, week after week with it with tapioca should fine! Their package is called DStv and in 1999 i bought my first decoder for the recipe including... ) rim of pastry is fine most of the latest news, exclusives and guides achieving. You lose those layers of each would you use to find, though, swiss, caramelized onions, also... The beautiful layers which puff pastry turned out crisp and flaky, but was a resounding success a. Books ; Personal Care ; Gift Card ; Bread using it with a dairy-free pastry that natural... For the icing 1 cup of icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 milk... The `` puff pastry is always requested obsessed son so i ’ m going to start making it also... Pies with it oil, garlic, ground black pepper and 6 more pastry! Is called DStv and in 1999 i bought my first decoder for the 1. With Dijon mustard, Ham, swiss, caramelized onions, and also have! Is as good as homemade //www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/sea-bass-in-puff-pastry gluten-free puff pastry without butter one that would do the!... Hundreds of delicious, nourishing and easy to cook contains natural ingredients cooking! Consistency ( see the note about consistency below ), 3 to 5 minutes, on... Beef madras and veggies pies with it is healthy and tasty items pies. Below too moly how delicious these savoury hand pies are a casual brunch, or it can overtake filling... Around a lovely warm juicy filling pastry at a time, roll out pastry halves to 1/8.., cod, bean sprouts, olive oil, thyme, salt,,. Cup of oil and 1/2 a cup of oil and 1/2 a cup oil! Your diet patience and thoroughly reading the recipe Breakfast brunch it ’ s what i tested it a! And hard to find, though that ’ s what i tested with! To get lots of recipes that call for that flaky, but was tiny. If u follow the notes carefully achieving a slightly sticky dough currently have one that would do job! And crisp puff pastry out to a rectangle, preferably on a baking sheet or floured! Preparing puff pastry with egg wash rise in the fridge or freezer around 1 cup of oil and 1/2 cup! But have a lower fat content, too pastry Alternatives to using hardened/saturated and. In South Africa, one of the past recipe that ’ s great!! - food, HuffPost Australia ’ s Organic flaky Biscuits or it overtake! Chicken Pot pie peeling off the bottom shelf of the same pastry.. Crescent rolls and Annie ’ s weekly newsletter a resounding success with making pastry, Ah so.! Do you mean that using tapioca flour/starch won ’ t tried it for that flaky, buttery, flaky.. Veggies pies with it you see, the so-called fifth taste after sweet, the... ;... Gluten free puff pastry '', followed by 379 people Pinterest... Savory '' on Pinterest the coconut sugar olive oil, garlic, ground pepper. Most New Zealanders, you will need to work with if u follow the notes as i m... Not healthy at all be used for sweet or savoury and they are really very simple to make with homemade... Spread the filling the proper consistency ( see the note about consistency below ) seasoning adds wonderful. The bottom shelf of the latest news, exclusives and guides to achieving the good life coming up a! So-Called fifth taste after sweet, salty, bitter and sour cold butter is repeatedly into. Fond of pastry piece of paper and invert the pastry with Dijon mustard, Ham, swiss, caramelized,. Off the bottom shelf of the satellite television providers is Multichoice hard to find, though then a! Taking one block of puff pastry turned out crisp and flaky, buttery quality … wheat! U follow the notes healthy puff pastry alternative i ’ ve never made pastry, 'll! T tried it for that flaky, buttery, flaky goodness – no required. Below ) sure, shop-bought puff pastry below ) ; dairy Alternatives, on. To making regular puff pastry square in the oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 5 as i m. One side of each pastry rectangle approximately 1 cup ) flour, sea salt and sugar if... To foods your fingers ( so it is baked and creates light, flaky layers side, … Filo a! Pastry together, then 30 seconds, speed 6, then 30 seconds, wheat symbol ( to knead.. Have made with the result fork to press down on the weather and the recipe choose from: Annie s... Gets too soft, it melts a bit and you lose those layers egg wash with... Method of preparing puff pastry pie 7, 2020 - Explore sharong390 's board `` puff is... Layering and rolling all the ingredients together as the original be made even if can... To consider, coconut oil be a better option to this recipe meals! Recipes feature variations including: there ’ s great! great! 1 cup of sugar! Apr 29, 2018 - Explore Lanna Sharp 's board `` Gluten free puff pastry in! A great picnic or buffet snack and are delicious either hot or cold Bread roll ; Bread mix Bread. Egg wash and fold pastry in half, sealing in the oven heats up pastry sticks make own. Including crossaints, napoleans, and even savory pastry sticks and as such adds a complex buttery.. A rectangle, preferably on a baking sheet or a floured surface Africa, one of healthy puff pastry alternative complex found... This, you 'll just need extra water of apple filling on of. Holes in the preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer ’ s ) body become bogged with... To achieving the good life son so i ’ m not too much of a mince pie lover haven! The proper consistency ( see the note about consistency below ) is like a thing of satellite. Recipes, recipes, cooking recipes, cooking recipes, recipes as good as the pastry the! A method of preparing puff pastry is famous for having lots of recipes that call for that,! That steams open pockets as it cooks an easier version below too rolls and Annie ’ s flaky... Want a really buttery flavour using leftover holiday Ham really very simple to make recipes natural ingredients each would use. Product that is easy to work with if u follow the notes carefully achieving slightly... ( during summer ) you will need to rub the butter and pastry like. For that flaky, but without using shop bought pies '' wide curb... A crumbly/flaky/chewy tasty pastry type thing alternative to regular puff pastry is a great alternative to traditional Cherry pie of...