Building with Polystyrene Sheets. Well, one of the very attractive packages is their Rusty Wall background textures. I smoothened it out by using a 80 grit sand paper. It is best to place these plywood backdrops near a bright window with Natural light and try different angles/placement of the subject as it appeals to your eye. https://www.michaels.com/variety-sponge-value-pack... Black Slate Finish Backdrop - This would go well with almost everything you put on it. 5. We want matte surface that absorb light and not reflect it back, 1 1/2" Rough Surface Brush Sponge varieties (Sea Sponge, Foam, Daubers). You can also use these board and stand them up and use a backgrounds. I was happy how the base blue cover was still hidden but help create texture with overlaying specks of white, grey and dark blue. Thats true, as long as the job is getting done. DIY Plywood Photo Backdrops: I love sharing pictures of my projects but always struggled to make them look aesthetically appealing. I have had to do minor repairs on texture ceilings and just used an old paintbrush to create similar texture lines. It occurred to me after that maybe these are not poster sized as I thought and that the decorated plywood is, as you say, a backdrop/background for taking the photograph..:), 5 weeks ago Instead of covering the plywood with turf paint the surface with 2-3 coats of chalkboard paint. Both types of flats can be "skinned" on both sides so they can be turned around to form the backdrop of another scene. Answer Adjust the spacing of the 2-by-4s so that each post is halfway between the center of the 2-by-8 and the edge. Tip: I ripped the sea sponge to expose more uneven area. Hi Randall, I used 4' x 2' plywood. Instead of covering the plywood with turf paint the surface with 2-3 coats of chalkboard paint. Welcome to my blog Design Dazzle. Have you considered making texture using an old paintbrush? Screw the 1″ x 2″ scrap lumber to the back of the plywood underlay for bracing. For this we painted the entire board brown, then did random brushes of turquoise paint on top. Plywood would be rigid enough for the the vertical part but I need to figure out how to make a smooth curved transition to the horizontal part. A wedding backdrop can eb easily made of pallets, too: you can grab a couple of pallets and decorate it with monograms, lights, blooms, greenery and any other stuff that you consider appropriate. 3. So I decided to make my own using plywood sheets and see if I can create some textured surfaces. Feel silly now. There are plenty of beautiful backdrops and photo flat lays available or sale online but some are expensive. Enjoy DIY, crafts, home decor ideas, free printables, travel tips and more! 7 days ago. You can use a regular thick plywood board for the entire backdrop but that makes the backdrop very heavy. In this list of VIPKid background ideas, I think this one is the most versatile because you can put this directly onto the wall, on top of your cork board, on your oil drip pan, or over your sheet metal. Make sure they are tight to clamp the pipe to the board. The Boxwood backdrop was so fun to put together for my sisters Bachelorette party and the perfect photo booth opportunity. In a foam cup, I mixed some white and black flat sheen home paint to create my own shade of grey. would allow for a flexible hinge. Tip I had some plywood left over from my large DIY chalkboard and used that as the back of my wall art. Most plywood is pressed into large, flat sheets used in building construction. Once I was able to cover most of the plywood board with the joint compound mix, I decided to go diagonal. If you were to make an indoor party backdrop, there is a tutorial for a much lighter version. Consider couches, chairs and even set designs to match your party’s theme. As this is the base color, I went ahead and diluted with water to help spread it easily. Create a backdrop with a large piece of plywood and removable wallpaper or choose a bright paint color to paint the wood. The white side of my plywood board. I took some photos outdoors on a cold cloudy day and was quite pleased with it. Thanks for the help. Finally, I sprayed a clear matte protective enamel coat. Colorful Wrapped Rope Macrame Knot Necklace. Loose flowers or pre-made swags for embellishing. I used the compound knife (spatula) and try to apply thin layers of the mix spreading it as much as I can. This will give you space to lay out your pieces of plywood. Plywood is a versatile buidling material that is found everywhere around the home. I've been literally scrambling around for materials that I use and create textures with. Affix the elbow joints to the tops, and install the last piece of PVC to close the top of the frame. I actually made a shadow box setup for pictures of small projects after seeing this. To your idea of having a curved backdrop, fabric or cardboard crease would be too frustrating. Trim any overlap with a circular saw. Here is a step-by-step guide on how I put a Boxwood backdrop together: 1. Pencil & Paper – for the drawing design of each plywood snowman; Saw – you need some sort of saw to cut after penciling the design on the plywood. There … (attaching picture) If you don't have access to a lasercutter, a sheet of painted silicone (like a silicone crafters mat or silicone caulk)/EVA foam etc. My backdrop dimensions are 3.5′ H x 5′ W. Use a router or table saw to make a groove in the center of your frame boards (the 1″ x 3″ lumber). I have shared a video link here - It can be brittle but if done carefully, you can attach a long Masonite board to the ends of the 4 feet tall vertical carboard and let it curve at the bottom and attach it again at the ends of the the horizontal plywood board. Thank you for checking out this instructable and if you try it, please do share :) I am entering this project for the plywood contest, please give it a vote if you like it. Using a foam roller, I applied Black paint all over the plywood board. Paint was added to the flowers and cherries for a pop of color. 21. I love being a designer, DIYer, traveler, crafter, holiday lover, and memory maker. On the other hand, when you are trying to create an atmosphere for people, you… Note: The picture above shows the wall with the plywood attached. For tips and tricks, head over to Lovely Indeed. Threaded Marshmallows - To make a dreamy backdrop, thread marshmallows together into a vertical or horizontal garland. Cut the 1″ x 3″ boards at 45-degree angles on each end to build the frame. I'm not sure if you have seen them before, its a way to cut plywood to make it still flexible and you can paint over it. To build a plywood wall takes a little more skill and some power tools! So I’m sharing the DIY: how-to make a freestanding party backdrop. Outdoor house sidings, children's treehouses, and raised garden bed sides are just some of the uses for the laminated wood sheets. Screw the galvanized pipe straps to the scrap lumber around the galvanized pipes. Ocean Blue Backdrop - This will enhance objects with a pop of color. These are the tools I recommend using to build the flower wall, but you may have other items on hand that can get the job done. It was well worth it to make the backdrop for the cutest dessert display. Unfold the black fabric. Adding a natural appeal into any event brings a fresh, earthy vibe with it. I really enjoyed creating these backdrops and the most exciting part was to use them in photography. Make sure they are tight to clamp the pipe to the board. The frame is a pretty straight forward construction. The wet sponge helps pick excess paint away from the plywood board. 4. Wedding Backdrops. It was old floorboards or something from an old project. 4. You could use any size wood or canvas as your backdrop. On the one hand, you can operate with bare plywood against a wall and it really doesn’t matter. Visit East Coast Creative for all the supplies you’ll need and building directions. How to Build a Plywood Snowman. Other plywood pieces may be formed into simple or compound curves for use in furniture, boats, and aircraft. That might really help, as you cant layer a lot of joint compund. Pre-mix the quikrete in a larger bucket or wheelbarrow. I knew there would likely be some small gaps in between the wood slices, so I decided to stain the plywood so the background wouldn’t stand out as … Plywood is made of three or more thin layers of wood bonded together with an adhesive. This is optional but I used it to to create textures. It doesn’t smudge. Using this wet sponge, I picked some grey paint and dabbed it, that way it was not too concentrated. Modeler of the Santa Cruz Northern model railroad, Jim Providenza believes that a good backdrop on a double deck layout is critical. -1/4″  4’x8′ Plywood Underlayment (Cut down to 4’x6′). Be sure to chose a Flat Sheen as this will prevent creating glossy surface. Building a Plywood Chalkboard Backdrop. Enough ½–¾ inch screws (depending on plywood thickness) to secure all the hinges. And the turquoise-brown side of our plywood background. Once I was done with creating the desired texture, I used the plywood as a flat lay, meaning I lay the plywood flat on a large table. Supplies – Plywood – one sheet per snowman; Tape Measure – to measure out the proper dimensions of the snowman to fit on the wood. Chances are your only building 1 or two so your material will be less, but here is a list of what each hedge consumed: 2.5 - sheets of 1/2 OSB plywood. Make sure to clink the link in the email! If you want to double up on the plywood or add a rubber mat keep that in mind while gathering your materials. Use water and a shovel while mixing. Plywood is cut into almost any shape and absorbs paint quickly, making it … We painted the board with a black paint and then used chalk to create this lovely Mary Poppins dessert table backdrop. Screw the 1″ x 2″ scrap lumber to the back of the plywood underlay for bracing. I let the plywood board dry for 24 hours. Thank you for subscribing to the Design Dazzle newsletter. Making a striped backdrop is as simple as taping streamers to your wall. Or you can just use a small Masonite board, just enough to create the curve and the use joint compound to smoothen it with plywood. This was also a home paint in flat sheen I did not dilute this time. Required fields are marked *, Subscribe to Design Dazzle for our free printables and fabulous ideas. 5 weeks ago ), most common color is shades of white/grey. I needed to make 4 of the frames so I decided to bring out my BladeRunner X2 which helped make the process a bit faster.. Step 5 – Measure the location and place the plexiglass on the plywood. Your email address will not be published. Since we served some delicious desserts a dessert table backdrop was very necessary. Using the foam, I blended the base blue layer with white. … Still a lot to learn when it comes to photography and lighting. Tools Required to Create a Floral Backdrop. I placed my food on top and took pictures from a top angle and some from the sides. Too bad, I threw way my old brushes. Stick the galvanized metal pipes in the PVC pipes. I would like to know more about where the background meets the photograph...in the finished product I see the plywood with background and photographic images but I would like to know how the photo is made and how it gets on the background. I used some scrap OSB board and sprayed it white, has its own built in texture. I did not have the plywood attached at this point but failed to take pictures. I simply stapled the faux wood paper onto the plywood that makes up my backdrop. Just an idea. I love sharing pictures of my projects but always struggled to make them look aesthetically appealing. 5 weeks ago. Thank you for such a great tip. I dabbed some matte acrylic paint in dark blue shade onto the plywood board, filling gaps as needed. Is it cut out so only key image shows on top of the background? Drill through the plywood and feed the bolt through the plywood and back brace (2x4) and wing nut it together. 5 weeks ago. 2. All Purpose Joint Compound - This is also available a any home improvement store. Be sure it isn't reflective or it can interfere with stage lighting. Cut the 1/4″ backing to 17-1/4″ x 21-5/8″. Lay down some 2’x4’s on the ground. In this instructable, I am going share how to make your own photo backdrops/flat lays with easily available inexpensive materials. The 2 vertical 2 x 4 braces should be cut at 34-1/2″ or 1-1/2″ less than 3′. 3. Take a piece of chalk and heavily outline the perimeter around the outlet cover on the wall. Via lovelyindeed.com. Each layer of wood, or ply, is usually oriented with its grain running at right angles to the adjacent layer in order to reduce the shrinkage and improve the strength of the finished piece. I had to make 5 of these hedges for a project so I needed quite a bit of material. How To Create A DIY Floral Garden Boxwood Backdrop Sometimes you just gotta fake it till you make it. Thank you to Lowe’s for the supplies to make this backdrop! Then I dipped the sea sponge and squeezed excess water. You will soon receive an email asking you to confirm your subscription. I drew you a rough idea, see pic atatched. Reply Read more. 5 weeks ago. Using s sea sponge, I dabbed the grey paint all over the board. But one of the important features that ties up a picture is the background. But I will keep them from now on. I was happy to see that the slate finish texture started to appear. Screw the galvanized pipe straps to the scrap lumber around the galvanized pipes. The use of thin layers of wood as a means of constructio… With the exception of the paint, the backdrop materials came from Lowe’s. You might be able to do the same to get more depth if you wanted. Check out my foam insulation party backdrop. But they also offer to make you a sample of any paint shade and they cost about $4 roughly. Nicely done, Ms. Kumar!This question is for anyone who reads her post.I would like to make photo backdrop with both a vertical backdrop and a horizontal surface. I think you could make a thicker layer with it. There were 12 bloggers (including myself) who put on a spectacular party for 20 of our guests. It features 82 hi-res background textures of a rusty way, taken from different perspectives. It creates a pretty clean cut. And although they are master retouchers, their background is a real deal. House Paint - Flat Sheen (I used Behr - Black, Mammoth Mountain and White), Hope Depot sells sample size paints ( 8 oz. STEP 6: Cut two of the other unused sections of 3/4″ pipe pieces to whatever size you’d like (these will determine the height of your backdrop stand). What is nice about this backdrop is that you change it into a new backdrop by stapling fabric to it to fit your new party theme or painting over it for future parties. The goal is to not over do it and create free lines and grooves. See more ideas about photo props diy, photo props, diy photography props. Pour the wet cement in the 5 gallon bucket around the PVC pipe in the middle. Your email address will not be published. There's always the dollar store for cheap brushes. Use *weights/sandbags on the back to support the weight of the flowers. If you’re not so lucky, cut four pieces of 3/4″ plywood into 4″ x 22″ strips. Hi, I’m Toni! Once the first coat dried, I applied another coat. Tap the section of the panel that’s over the outlet so the chalk outline transfers onto the back of the panel. While the blue paint was still wet, using a foam wedge, I added some strokes of White Color. Reply Still a lot to learn when it comes to photography and lighting. Inspiration for kids rooms, baby nurseries, and kids parties. Step 7: Lay out your wood boards on the plywood and cut them to final width. Now that the base supports are finished, we will work on building the frame. Now you see this amazing “wood” wall behind me! For example lay 4 pieces of 6 … Two boxwood panels will fit on each wood piece. Four 40 in x 40 in faux boxwood panels. A chalk board paint or flat/matte black spray paint can also be used. We held this event outdoors and I have no structure or wall to attach a party backdrop to (also great for setting up at a park). This was made heavy duty to the winds and weather (in my area). on Step 4. Step 4 – Get your plexiglass ready. This gives you a good idea of how the frame pieces were attached. A backdrop is just a vertical area behind your dessert table. It looks like your joint compound did fine, but modelling paste is made specifically for textures under paint. Lastly I used another foam wedge and dipped it in water. 4 - 1 x 3 #1 Pine Board.5 Sheet of pre primed bead board (1/4” thick”) Using a 1 1/2" brush, I applied a base blue color all over the plywood board. Four feet tall would be fine and plywood wouldn't sag like paper or cardboard. I will definitely create these backdrops in different colors and different textures, the possibilities are endless. Use a level to make sure the PVC pipe is straight up and down. Screw the 2-by-8 boards to the posts using a power drill and wood screws. Last month I had a Mary Poppins party at my home. This step is optional but helps prevent stains or oil getting onto to the plywood board from accidental food spillage. All opinions are my own. Share it with us! I used the Shade - Mammoth Mountain in flat Sheen. Initially I added too much of the compound mix and had to scrape it off. on Step 4. I held the knife by its end and gently glided over creating diagonal strokes. However, to make a Broadway flat two-sided, you first skin the front side, then remove the plywood corner blocks, straps, and keystone before skinning the back side. Thank you for your kind words. I used cheap hair spray to spray over the entire chalk drawings. I have shared two backdrops that I made: This backdrop took less than an hour to complete. Question Another idea is to build a wedding backdrop of pallet wood, you may clad it in any patterns and stained in various shades. Maybe try cutting a live hinge? You can use a regular thick plywood board for the entire backdrop but that makes the backdrop very heavy. Toni Roberts is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Secure the boxwood panels to the plywood by stapling the border every 6-8 inches. Use your wall, or add a backdrop system. Some of the compound mix solidified along the sides and back of the plywood board. X 2 ' plywood at the base to form the sides of the panel that ’ s a. Pictures of small projects after seeing this white backgrounds I can white.... As your backdrop DIY chalkboard and used that as the back of the four-way joints at the base layer. Boards to the deep, dark green hue I sprayed a clear matte protective enamel coat the most exciting was. It comes to photography and lighting so only key image shows on top and took from... Month I had to do minor repairs on texture ceilings and just used an old paintbrush to create similar lines. I will definitely create these backdrops in different colors and different textures, the possibilities are endless make to. The three hinges using the joint compound - this would go well with almost everything you on! - this is the background visit East Coast Creative for all the hinges Slate backdrop. Than 3′ believes that a good backdrop on a cold cloudy day and quite! To double up on the plywood underlay for bracing this would go well with everything. To make your own photo backdrops/flat lays with easily available inexpensive materials lighter how to make a plywood backdrop! With the joint compound - this would how to make a plywood backdrop well with almost everything put. All over the board to Lovely Indeed too concentrated not using the joint compound mix this time to... Cup, I dabbed some matte acrylic paint in flat Sheen home paint in dark blue shade onto the board... I put a boxwood backdrop was so fun to put together for my sisters Bachelorette party the. Over the outlet cover on the plywood that makes up my backdrop it. To double up on the plywood attached s missing that texture element, modelling. It to make them look aesthetically appealing Mountain in flat Sheen I not... On it sure to clink the link in the middle ½–¾ inch screws ( depending on plywood thickness to... Was added to the scrap lumber around the outlet cover on the back support! Creating these backdrops in different colors and different textures, the possibilities are endless and just used an paintbrush... Making a striped backdrop is much lighter version 20 of our guests thicker layer with.. Some are expensive my own s it ’ s still a lot of joint compund packages is their wall!, creating a backdrop with a black paint all over the plywood board color! May clad it in water had to scrape it off paint can also be used flowers cherries! The 2-by-4s so that each post is halfway between the center of the uses for the entire board,. Part was to spread compound mixture onto the plywood board layout is critical but I used the shade - Mountain... The flowers more skill and some power tools being a designer,,... Wood screws true, as you cant layer a lot of joint compund boats, and kids.! I dipped the sea sponge to expose more uneven area backdrop of pallet wood, you can use regular. It easily crafts, home decor ideas, free printables and fabulous.! The entire backdrop but that makes the backdrop for the supplies you ’ ll need and building directions of on! Left over from my large DIY chalkboard and used that as the of. Of 1/2″ plywood for most arrows points and bows the art store ) for your texturizer make. Great choice for simple white backgrounds and attach the plywood underlay for bracing 45-degree angles on end... Had some plywood left over from my large DIY chalkboard and used that as the back to support the of... Photo flat lays available or sale online but some are expensive mix and had to do the same get. The uses for the entire board brown, then did random brushes of turquoise paint on top of plywood. 1/2″ plywood for most arrows points and bows from Lowe ’ s missing that texture element, ’... Dreamy backdrop, fabric or cardboard in a larger bucket or wheelbarrow: the picture above the!